Romans 12:1. I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
We need to become a worshipful people, before we can become a merciful people.
This verse in Romans 12:1 has 4 key words that I want to talk to you about today:
Body, Living, Holy, and Acceptable
The 1st key word used in Rom 12 is:
Body – “present your bodies as a living sacrifice”
God wants your whole body; your head, your arms, your legs, your lips, and your toes… he wants all of you.
· 1 Peter 2:5. You yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
· The Bible, in Isaiah 53, describes Jesus as having “no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him”
o God doesn’t judge us by what we look like (our cover), after all, even Jesus was a perfect book with an imperfect cover
o Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart.
The 2nd key word used in Rom 12 is:
Living – ““present your bodies as a living sacrifice”
· We need to be a living sacrifice, in other words, we need to live our lives for God almighty.
· Present your bodies as a living sacrifice.
o He’s not asking everyone to die for Him; He wants us to LIVE for Him
· In whatever we are able to do with our lives we must live for God and His glory.
The 3rd key word used in Rom 12 is:
Holy – “present your bodies… holy… to God”
Holy means “set apart”
Our lives need to be set apart for God’s glory and His purposes
· Heb. 13:15-16. “Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”
· Some of the ways we can offer our bodies as a living sacrifice is to:
o Give praise to God
o Acknowledge God with our lips
o Do Good deeds
o And share what we have
· These are the things that set us apart for the service of God
The 4th and final key word used in Rom 12 is:
Acceptable – As in “holy and acceptable to God”
You may ask, “How could my imperfect body be an acceptable sacrifice?”
· He isn’t looking for perfect bodies
o Remember, even Jesus had a body that was described as not having beauty
o He’s just looking for bodies willing to serve.
o It is through the Christ that our service is made acceptable
Peter Said “My body is to show that I love Jesus Christ more than any comfort on earth.”
1 Cor. -20 – “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
Today I did a little sermon for the elderly people in Alderwood. Creighton and Tessa Deems also did there Duo. So we had a lot of fun talking to the elderly people and seeing the Deems. I hope you all are having a lot of fun. I hope I can post some pictures of something real soon. Because I am only typing allot of long stuff. Leave a comment if you have time.